Photo Credit: Neil Zlozower
Jimmy Page's Gibson EDS-1275 double neck has been named the 'coolest guitar in rock' in a new rundown on Gigwise.com. The EDS-1275, pictured below, famously allowed Jimmy Page to perform "Stairway To Heaven" live without the need for a clumsy mid-song guitar change.
Page also used the weighty instrument live for renditions of other Led Zeppelin classics such as "The Rain Song," "Gallows Pole," and "The Song Remains The Same."
Other guitars that appear in the Gigwise chart seem to suggest a bias towards oddball multi-neck and 'shape' guitars such as Steve Vai's triple-neck Ibanez Heart Guitar and Prince's Symbol.
The Top 10
1. Jimmy Page's Gibson EDS-1275 double neck
2. Michael Angelo Batio's Quad Guitar
3. Steve Vai's Ibanez triple neck 'Heart' guitar
4. Eddie Van Halen's 'Frankenstein'
5. Rick Nielson's Hamer five neck
6. Prince's 'Symbol'
7. Pat Metheny's 42-string Pikasso guitar
8. Michael Angelo Batio's twin neck
9. Dimebag Darrell's Dean Dixie Rebel
10. Matt Bellamy's Manson custom