Our rehearsals on the 11th and 13th were mostly about writing and picking songs, so we weren’t too concerned about the setup. But at the next rehearsal, it because obvious that trying to run the three bottom strings through a single octave divider wasn’t going to work. As long as only one string played, all was well. But playing more than one string caused the RP250 (or any octave divider I tried, for that matter) to freak out into an undefined blob of sound. Although this could sometimes be useful, most of the time it was definitely unwanted. It also meant I had to be extremely careful with my picking; hitting a wrong note at the wrong time could kill a song, and I wanted to be able to play with some degree of abandon.
The other thing that became real obvious, real quickly was that if I did hit a wrong note, there was no keyboard player or bassist to cover for me. I’ve never felt quite so exposed in a band before; one broken string, one missed chord, or one gear issue meant we were, quite frankly, hosed. That’s when I realized that the stage setup had to be not just 99% reliable, but 100% reliable. The single octave divider had to go.