Gibson GuitarTown is a public art project that features 26 ten-foot tall fiberglass Gibson Les Paul model guitar sculptures created by local and nationally acclaimed visual artists, with each piece celebrating a musician, personality, or influential moment unique to The Sunset Strip’s history and Gibson Guitar. The guitars will be strategically placed along the 1.6-mile Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. Themes include the Jazz Era on The Strip, the ’60s counterculture movement and the glamour and glitz of the boulevard, as well as pieces celebrating 2010 Sunset Strip Music Festival Honoree Slash, The Doors, Mötley Crüe and Sunset Strip nightclub founders Lou Adler, Mario Maglieri and Elmer Valentine (The Roxy Theatre, Whisky A Go-Go and Rainbow Bar & Grill). Gibson GuitarTown on The Sunset Strip will be on display for the next year, after which the sculptures will then be sold at a gala auction, with all proceeds benefiting nonprofit organizations and charities. The auction will be hosted by the Gibson Foundation.
The "re-opening" of The Strip follows the seven-month Sunset Strip Beautification Project that included such improvements as repaving the boulevard for the first time in 75 years, repairing and expanding sidewalks and crosswalks to enhance the pedestrian experience and planting new trees along the 1.6 mile stretch.
Schedule of events:
THURSDAY, AUGUST 12
- 4:00 PM: Media Check-In Begins at the Comedy Store (8433 W. Sunset Blvd.).
- 5:00 PM: The grand "re-opening" of The Strip, featuring a caravan of classic cars begins at Miyagi’s restaurant parking lot (8152 W. Sunset Blvd.).
- 5:15 PM: The classic car motorcade arrives for the Sunset Strip "re-opening" ribbon cutting by West Hollywood City Council Members in front of the Comedy Store and House of Blues (8433 W. Sunset Blvd.).
- 6:00 PM: News conference announcing the artists who created the GuitarTown sculptures begins at the Rainbow Bar & Grill (9015 Sunset Blvd.).
- 7:00 PM: Reception following news conference at the Rainbow Bar & Grill.
- 8:00 PM—11:00 PM Following the press conference, guests and visitors are invited to enjoy the nightlong Block Party on The Sunset Strip, featuring patio parties, live music, drink specials, extended shopping hours and discounts at participating businesses. For a full listing of Sunset Strip Block Party activities, please visit www.TheSunsetStrip.com/blockparty.